UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» UPDATE!! NEW BOOKIE SETUP!
Yesterday at 9:47 am by stock

» Mayweather Vs. McGregor who wins?
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 am by DEP

» the list is growing
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm by Chrom

» Time flies uf.ca
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:46 pm by Triggerman99

» The double knockdown! *Spoilers*
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:00 pm by Triggerman99

» Its Officially Official; Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather at the T-Mobil Arena, August 26th
Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:51 pm by Triggerman99

» Gohkan Saki signs with the UFC
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:13 pm by FistK

» UFC 211 Betting Topic
Sat May 13, 2017 3:42 pm by Chrom

» Justin Gaethje is the latest WSOF champ to sign with the UFC
Fri May 12, 2017 3:51 pm by Triggerman99

Poll
Mayweather Vs. McGregor who wins?
Mayweather wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
Mayweather wins UD
50%
 50% [ 3 ]
Mayweather wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Mayweather wins DQ
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins UD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins DQ
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Draw
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most active topic starters
Chrom

Triggerman99

drainbamage

Gecko

9Teen_AT4

Krieger

butterknifeninja

stock

samger2

FistK

Most active topics
The WTF Thread
The Walking Dead
Horrible Facebook Posts...
Fantasy League Season 4
Introduce Yourself Get $500 Standard Cash!
Random video of the week
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
The Ultimate Fighter Rousey vs Tate *spoilers*
Crank up the Tunes!
The Ultimate Fighter 20 Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)
Affiliates
July 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

From Justin Timberlake to Dane Cook. Celebrities chime in on Pacquiao/Bradley Hot Mess

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 5226

PostSubject: From Justin Timberlake to Dane Cook. Celebrities chime in on Pacquiao/Bradley Hot Mess   Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Boxing fans and pundits around the world expressed shock over the result of the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley fight that took place on Saturday, June 9, 2012. Bradley was awarded a split decision victory in a fight that most observers felt Pacquiao won handily.

Messages of outrage flooded social media following the Pacquiao-Bradley decision. Boxing analysts, pro athletes, celebrities and even Filipino politicians all had something to say about the fight, almost all of it in favour of Pac-Man.

The result also gave rise to plenty of conspiracy theories. More than a few people commented that they thought the fix was in. Others noted that the result could mark the beginning of the end for the sport of boxing.

Even celebrities got into the act, commenting on the Pacquiao-Bradley decision via Twitter.

Justin Timberlake wrote:
Pop star Justin Timberlake wrote: "I cannot believe what I just saw... Please tell me they read that decision wrong... #Rigged"

Dane Cook wrote:
Comedian Dane Cook wrote that the fight might mark the death of boxing: "Somewhere in the not too distant future: A young child: "Daddy, what was boxing?"

Jimmy Kimmel wrote:
ABC's Jimmy Kimmel took a more humorous approach, defending Pac-Man who has been a frequent guest on his late-night talk show: "Paula Abdul would have done a better job judging the @MannyPacquiao fight."

Promoter Bob Arum was outraged by the result. According to ESPN, Arum had to this to say after the fight:

Bob Arum wrote:
"Something like this is so outlandish, it's a death knell for the sport. This is f------ nuts. I have both guys, and I'll make a lot of money in the rematch, but it's ridiculous. You have these old f---- who don't know what the hell they're looking at. It's incompetence. Nobody who knows anything about boxing could have Bradley ahead in the fight."

Arum also claimed Bradley himself thought he lost: "I went over to Bradley before the decision and he said, 'I tried hard but I couldn't beat the guy.'"

President Benigno Aquino wrote:
Pacquiao's loss sparked outrage in his native Philippines. Filipinos around the world claimed the fight was "lutong bulok" (cooked rotten). Even Filipino politicians got into the act.

"President Benigno Aquino sought to console the public, stressing that Pacquiao remained a treasured sporting icon despite the loss.

'Manny Pacquiao failed to defend the WBO welterweight belt against Timothy Bradley, but the Filipino people’s support for their champion remains strong as ever,' Aquino spokeswoman Abigail Valte said in a statement.

Jose Estrada wrote:
“'This is clearly highway robbery,' senator Jose Estrada, who was at ringside in Las Vegas, told local radio in Manila by phone.

'Pacquiao clearly had more hits.'”

“Manny is still our one and only people’s champ; and we are proud of him.'”

The decision has led more than a few people to think that the Pacquiao vs Bradley fight was fixed.

50Cent wrote:
Rapper 50 Cent said what many people were thinking: "Man boxing is a mess right now [whatever you do] do not watch the rematch its fixed. both fighters are with the same promoters [they're] just trying to get paid twice."

Canadian poker player and sports analyst Haralabos Voulgaris noted that there was a late surge of bets on Bradley. "Late money on this boxing match, Pac was -432 at 2pm it closed -397 at pinny. Lots of late money on Bradley."

Vouglaris went on to say, "Eagerly awaiting Italian [soccer's] response to this boxing match. Can't imagine they'll take the demotion to 2nd most corrupt sport lightly."

ESPN columnist Bill Simmons re-tweeted Voulgaris' comment, adding that he thought that it might make for a future edition of his popular documentary series "30 for 30."

Simmons added: "Never been more stunned by a boxing decision. So disgusted right now. Now we know why the odds dropped all week."

Sports blog The Big Lead noted that Timothy Bradley tweeted out a Pacquiao-Bradley re-match poster nearly two weeks ago.

Big Lead writer Jason Lisk commented, "At this point, we should remind you that Bob Arum is the promoter for both Pacquiao and Bradley. If this had been scored a decisive victory for Pacquiao, there is no rematch or at least one that is desired by the public."

Most online conspiracy theories veered towards the outlandish, but Patrick Rishe of Forbes says such theories are hard to avoid.

"Unfortunately, it’s these sorts of results that make skeptics of us all. Make us wonder if someone within the sport thought they could drum up greater interest in a Pacquiao-Bradley rematch if Pacquiao lost the first bout. Seems far-fetched, but in light of the circumstances I wouldn’t blame anyone that draws this conclusion."

Rishe adds that the sport need to look for solutions.

"But from strictly a business perspective, especially with MMA and UFC gaining such strides in popularity, perhaps boxing needs to consider re-evaluating its judging process…be it more judges or some other solution.

Because without a re-assessment of such procedures, I fear that boxing will keep taking uppercuts to perceptions of its integrity…or lack thereof."

Yahoo Sports columnist Dan Wetzel joked: "Blame here has to fall on [Pacquiao's] strategy of punching Bradley more often and harder."

Aaron Rodgers wrote:
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers wrote: "That is horrible. Unreal. Ridiculous. Stupid. Bogus. Etc.That fight wasn't close and I was pulling for Bradley."

Oscar De La Hoya wrote:
Retired boxer Oscar De La Hoya, who lost to Pacquiao in a 2008 fight, said, "Bradley should have given the belt and announce victory to [Pacquiao] right after the decision."

Back to top Go down
View user profile

From Justin Timberlake to Dane Cook. Celebrities chime in on Pacquiao/Bradley Hot Mess
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1