UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting
 
UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
Poll
Mayweather Vs. McGregor who wins?
Mayweather wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
Mayweather wins UD
50%
 50% [ 3 ]
Mayweather wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Mayweather wins DQ
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins UD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins DQ
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Draw
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most active topic starters
Chrom
 
Triggerman99
 
drainbamage
 
Gecko
 
9Teen_AT4
 
Krieger
 
butterknifeninja
 
stock
 
samger2
 
FistK
 
Most active topics
The WTF Thread
The Walking Dead
Horrible Facebook Posts...
Fantasy League Season 4
Introduce Yourself Get $500 Standard Cash!
Random video of the week
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
The Ultimate Fighter Rousey vs Tate *spoilers*
Crank up the Tunes!
The Ultimate Fighter 20 Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)
Affiliates
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum


Share | 
 

 choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 1585
Standard Cash : 7829
Reputation : 109
Join date : 2011-08-15
Location : far from the projects

PostSubject: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Conor Mcgregor....
4 fights into his ufc career
3 tkos
1 top 10 opponent

Im trying hard to like this guy. he is explosive. he is a shit talker. he appears to be a fall down drunk irishman. whats not to like??
Im just not sold on his style of fighting.
granted we have only seen him in action for just over 20 minutes in a combined 4 fights i just feel that he is biting off more than he could chew.

dana has gone on record saying he is bigger than brock and gsp...

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/ufc-boss-conor-mcgregor-bigger-than-brock-lesnar-georges-st-pierre

and maybe that is so but lets not forget what happened to brock lesnar. who was ufc biggest draw and i believe he still holds that ranking.

brock jumped into ufc with a lot of hype and it didnt work out from the get go.
tapped by frank mir... who could ever forget that.
but he bounced back and did great things. the hype train was full steam ahead until he met cain and the reem.. now conor is having an excellent start against ( with exception to porier ) low/mid level talent. but his words after his fights just hit a nerve with me. i understand the fight game. he is selling himself and the country of ireland and all that but i personally dont see him beating guys like aldo, mendes, or edgar. its up in the air for me against swanson and lamas. i think he will be the michael bisping of the FW division. what do you guys think? am i crazy?

and whoever his manager is he deserves an award for getting him a 75k/75k contract
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
avatar

Posts : 5918
Standard Cash : 20148
Reputation : 257
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 36
Location : Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Conor has a lot more experience and all of his wins, bar one, are first or second round finishes. I think he's about as legit as could be for outside of the UFC talent. Now he's being brought up well in the ranks, which I think is wise, rather than throwing him to the wolves so to speak, as they did with Lesnar. I can see him being champ come the end of 2015.
I also just watched the after fight presser from this weekends fight and he is really super professional once the fight is done. He wasn't disrespectful towards his opponent at all and was really pretty damn humble. He is insanely confident and a bit cocky... but he even addressed that in his interview.
IDK I guess we'll have to wait and see how good he truly is.

________________________________________________

"Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. Everyone knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 5970
Standard Cash : 56993
Reputation : 510
Join date : 2011-07-11
Age : 36
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Yeah it's kind of like a perfect storm of a hype train. On one hand you have McGregor himself, who is like Chael Sonnen in the sense that his shit talking knows no limits, except that so far, unlike Chael, he's been able to back it up. In a way, that probably makes him even more unlikable to people who already disliked him for talking so much shit.
Then on the other hand, you have Dana White talking him up as though he's the biggest star the sport has even seen. I'm a McGregor fan, and I also understand that Dana is hyping him because he's vital to the UFC international expansion. But even so, I for the life of me don't understand why Dana is hyping him THIS much. It's really strange. It kinda came out of nowhere, where nobody really knew who he was, then all of the sudden he's Dana's golden boy seemingly out of the blue.

As far as his talent, I still don't have a really clear picture. I was rooting for him against Porier, but I honestly didn't think he had much of a shot. Well we all saw what happened. I too think he'd get rolled by Aldo, Mendes, etc., but like I said, I thought the same about his chances against Porier.
Until someone proves him wrong, I gotta believe he's the real deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 1585
Standard Cash : 7829
Reputation : 109
Join date : 2011-08-15
Location : far from the projects

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:35 pm

i think thats what is throwing me off about mcgregor the hype from dfw. i dont know man its like i want to love the guy but something is not allowing me to stand behind him 100% as a fighter. let me see him finish a top 5 guy in a devastating fashion like his previous opponents and i guess i will be on the same train as everyone else.

needless to say he is exactly what the ufc needed at this time. a big mouth to stir the pot and back it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 1648
Standard Cash : 10137
Reputation : 189
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:03 am

Comparing McGregor to GSP might be a bit much, but don't discount what's going on over in Europe right now that we don't hear about.
My uncle in Ireland told me that pretty much the whole country came to a stop Saturday night to watch this fight. He said he hadn't seen anything like it since Ricky Hatton fought Mayweather. That is pretty huge. I don't think McGrgor's hype has hit the states as much yet, but in Europe it sounds pretty insane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 1585
Standard Cash : 7829
Reputation : 109
Join date : 2011-08-15
Location : far from the projects

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 pm

yeah conor literally is carrying all of ireland on his back. his timing is right and i guess he does have the skill to back his mouth up. he will definitely have my eyes peeled for his next fight. more times than not when a fighter is hyped this much it usually doesnt work out so well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 2437
Standard Cash : 12927
Reputation : 163
Join date : 2011-07-11
Age : 37
Location : Washington DC

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:59 am

I wont lie i'm a die hard McGregor hype train rider!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
avatar

Posts : 742
Standard Cash : 5562
Reputation : 66
Join date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:40 pm

i really like his fighting style. it is that bruce lee style of fluid - whatever works adaptation.

but, to crown him the next coming is way too soon. wherever i read about him, after poirier's fight, it is only how fucking dominant he was and that the fight showed what he really is.
hell fucking no. that fight didnt show me much. Mcgregor caught poirier ducking a punch and hit him behind the ear. Happens all the time and usually that results in a loss.
there was no exhibition of great skill against a top fighter, he just won by hitting a lucky spot. I'll reserve my judgement til later
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 1648
Standard Cash : 10137
Reputation : 189
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:13 am

the commie wrote:
i really like his fighting style. it is that bruce lee style of fluid - whatever works adaptation.

but, to crown him the next coming is way too soon. wherever i read about him, after poirier's fight, it is only how fucking dominant he was and that the fight showed what he really is.
hell fucking no. that fight didnt show me much. Mcgregor caught poirier ducking a punch and hit him behind the ear. Happens all the time and usually that results in a loss.
there was no exhibition of great skill against a top fighter, he just won by hitting a lucky spot. I'll reserve my judgement til later

Totally agree - Too early to say he is the next best thing.

But he does have impressive punching power for a 145er and his style is fun to watch for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 5970
Standard Cash : 56993
Reputation : 510
Join date : 2011-07-11
Age : 36
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:25 pm

FistK wrote:
Comparing McGregor to GSP might be a bit much, but don't discount what's going on over in Europe right now that we don't hear about.  
My uncle in Ireland told me that pretty much the whole country came to a stop Saturday night to watch this fight.  He said he hadn't seen anything like it since Ricky Hatton fought Mayweather.  That is pretty huge.  I don't think McGrgor's hype has hit the states as much yet, but in Europe it sounds pretty insane.

Maybe that's why Dana is hyping him so much, and most of us here in the States don't understand why.
If McGregor is this epic rockstar in Ireland, Dana has most definitely experienced that first-hand by being in Ireland and promoting for his fights. I'm sure it's infectious, and Dana probably is caught up in it.

Hey whatever works! Like I said, nobody has proven McGregor to be a farce yet, so until that happens, he's at least a really good- if not great- fighter as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 1585
Standard Cash : 7829
Reputation : 109
Join date : 2011-08-15
Location : far from the projects

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:57 pm

just praying that we see a mcgregor vs edgar match up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
avatar

Posts : 1648
Standard Cash : 10137
Reputation : 189
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:55 am

Triggerman99 wrote:

FistK wrote:
Comparing McGregor to GSP might be a bit much, but don't discount what's going on over in Europe right now that we don't hear about.  
My uncle in Ireland told me that pretty much the whole country came to a stop Saturday night to watch this fight.  He said he hadn't seen anything like it since Ricky Hatton fought Mayweather.  That is pretty huge.  I don't think McGrgor's hype has hit the states as much yet, but in Europe it sounds pretty insane.


Maybe that's why Dana is hyping him so much, and most of us here in the States don't understand why.
If McGregor is this epic rockstar in Ireland, Dana has most definitely experienced that first-hand by being in Ireland and promoting for his fights. I'm sure it's infectious, and Dana probably is caught up in it.

Hey whatever works! Like I said, nobody has proven McGregor to be a farce yet, so until that happens, he's at least a really good- if not great- fighter as far as I'm concerned.

+1 i couldnt have said it better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor   

Back to top Go down
 
choo choo the hype train: The notorious Conor Mcgregor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Mini Meet East. Who's going?
» Conor Mcgregor vs Mayweather
» how do you train your hook
» My New Headcover - Courtesy of Kunnasak
» Tornado takes out Train.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The MMA Standard :: UFC-
Jump to: