UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
Poll
Mayweather Vs. McGregor who wins?
Mayweather wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
Mayweather wins UD
50%
 50% [ 3 ]
Mayweather wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Mayweather wins DQ
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins UD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins DQ
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Draw
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most active topic starters
Chrom

Triggerman99

drainbamage

Gecko

9Teen_AT4

Krieger

butterknifeninja

stock

samger2

FistK

Most active topics
The WTF Thread
The Walking Dead
Horrible Facebook Posts...
Fantasy League Season 4
Introduce Yourself Get $500 Standard Cash!
Random video of the week
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
The Ultimate Fighter Rousey vs Tate *spoilers*
Crank up the Tunes!
The Ultimate Fighter 20 Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)
Affiliates
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Standard Cash : 20148

PostSubject: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Quote :
Mexico City, Mexico - The UFC® announced today that UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez suffered a right knee injury during training and was forced to withdraw from his championship fight against No.1 contender Fabricio Werdum in Mexico City on November 15.

As a result, No.4 heavyweight Mark Hunt (10-8-1 in professional MMA, fighting out of Auckland, New Zealand), who is coming off a walk-away knockout against the iron-chinned Roy Nelson in Tokyo in September (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGunUlEd50A), will face Werdum (18-5-1, fighting out of Los Angeles via Porto Alegre, Brazil) in the five-round main event for the interim UFC heavyweight title.

“I’m so unbelievably disappointed that this happened,” Velasquez said. “To say I was looking forward to fighting in Mexico for the first time is an understatement. I wanted to fight on that card so bad. Looks like it wasn’t meant to be and it’s not going to happen. I’m going to get my [right] knee fixed and get back to training as soon as I can. I’m sorry to the fans in Mexico who were expecting this fight, and I hope to be able to come down and still be a part of this historic event.”

For Werdum, it was never about Cain, it was always about the title.

“I’m ready for whatever comes. I have been training in Mexico for nearly two months and accept the challenge that is presented to me. I'll continue to prepare and will arrive ready to fight on behalf of all my Latin American fans," said Werdum.

Mark Hunt, never one to shy away from a big opportunity, wasted no time accepting a dream opportunity to fight for UFC gold.

“I feel blessed to have this opportunity to fight for another world title. This is something that doesn’t happen often to people. First K1 and now UFC – how can I say no, even though it’s on short notice? I’m dropping everything and flying to Mexico tomorrow so I can best prepare myself for this fight. I have to get into shape and acclimatize to that environment, which is really important.

“There’s nothing to lose when you’re competing against the best at the top level,” Hunt added.
http://www.ufc.com/news/cain-velasquez-injured-fabricio-werdum-vs-mark-hunt-new-ufc-180-main-event?utm_campaign=&utm_source=15600&utm_medium=Facebook%3A+UFC&

"Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. Everyone knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 56993

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Well fuck. Neutral

I'll be rooting for Hunt, and honestly I give him a pretty fair chance in this fight. But ultimatley it doesn't matter, because after Cain is healed up he's going to chainsaw whichever of these guys is holding the belt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 12927

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:06 am

I'm with Trigg, i would be very happy to see Hunt win this fight and maybe even pull a JDS and give Cain a flash KO. I know it may be a long shot but heck if JDS can do it, i dont see why Hunt might have the same luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 10137

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:21 am

WAR HUNT!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 12927

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:44 am

side note. With this new injury to Cain he will be out of action since his last title defense for at least 1 and half years at this point. Should he be stripped of his title? not saying he shouldn't get first crack at it when he can return. But i always felt if you cant defend the title at least once a year you should forfeit the title. just don't think it's fair at all for guys who have been fighting and moving up in the ranks to have to wait for there opportunity due to constant injuries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King

Standard Cash : 32749

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 am

Didn't they already announce that Hunt/Werdum are fighting for the interim title?
Maybe that was just a dream.

In any event, he should be stripped of "ranking" eligibility at the next update.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King

Standard Cash : 32749

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 am

And fuck him for making me draft him #1 overall in fantasy league. I'm picking right up from where I left off last season.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:35 am

He should be made Champion Emeritus, just like they did with GSP. Which just means immediate title shot upon his healthy return. That way no one is stripped and the "real" champ is the fighting champ.

"Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. Everyone knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 56993

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Between him, Weidman, and Pettis this is getting ridiculous. When almost half the champs are pulling out if more fights than they're actually competing in, it's a serious problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 5562

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Mighty Mouse fights but no one cares, Cruz is out fr three years, Pettis is out, Weiman is out, Jones missed an appointment, Cain is out for a long time. The only two we see are Aldo and Hendricks, and both are flirting with injuries all the time. Plus both are a bit dull, more so hendricks than Aldo. Easy to see that ufc needs some excitement back into its champ camp.

And sadly, i think that Hunt is going to get submitted in this fight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 pm

the commie wrote:

And sadly, i think that Hunt is going to get submitted in this fight.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 7829

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:57 am

werdum subs hunt in the first round of this fight ill put a screen name and an avi bet if anyone is up to it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Oh you can count me in on that!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 7829

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:36 pm

deal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180   

Back to top Go down

Velasquez Injured - Werdum vs. Hunt Interim HW Title New Main Event UFC 180
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1