UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
Poll
Mayweather Vs. McGregor who wins?
Mayweather wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
Mayweather wins UD
50%
 50% [ 3 ]
Mayweather wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Mayweather wins DQ
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins UD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins DQ
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Draw
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most active topic starters
Chrom

Triggerman99

drainbamage

Gecko

9Teen_AT4

Krieger

butterknifeninja

stock

samger2

FistK

Most active topics
The WTF Thread
The Walking Dead
Horrible Facebook Posts...
Fantasy League Season 4
Introduce Yourself Get $500 Standard Cash!
Random video of the week
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
The Ultimate Fighter Rousey vs Tate *spoilers*
Crank up the Tunes!
The Ultimate Fighter 20 Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)
Affiliates
December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 3389

PostSubject: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm

From MMA Fighting:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/11/4/7151211/dustin-poirier-i-still-think-i-can-beat-conor-mcgregor

"I never thought he was going to be an easy fight, or thought that he wasn't good. I knew that he was a good fighter and he's here for a reason, but I still think I can beat him," Poirier said. "That night just wasn't my night, and I didn't get a chance to fight him. I got hurt early and he put me away quick, and it sucks because I really trained and was prepared to fight and beat him, and I still think I can.

Meh sour grapes and an inability to accept a loss and move on. He jumped in on all the trash talk with both feet and got totally owned when it came time to back the trash talk up. Just let it go and see if you can climb the ladder Dustin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 5617

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:44 pm

getting hit behind the ear an losing equilibrium is in no way getting owned. that fight did not show anything of value about either one of them. he is not being a sore loser, and plainly, he is accepting the loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 57066

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Could beat him? Sure, he could beat him, but he didn't. Plain and simple.
Every fighter who has been knocked out could voice the same gripe, but the fact of the matter is you got knocked out.
That's part of the game. Accept it and move on. What's the point in even saying this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 14047

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:21 pm

well....one thing of value that we learned is that McGregor has good accuracy and power....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 5617

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:32 am

the point in saying is that the general opinion is that mcgregor's skill and power overwhelmed poirier, which is not the case. he got caught, the punch wasnt powerful or accurate, poirier tried to duck a punch and got clipped behind the ear.
im not taking the win away, but i am not impressed either. the fight didnt show much. so, the point for poirier to speak up was to fight this illusion that he got schooled somehow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 10202

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:31 am

I dont know this didnt really come off as sour grapes to me.

He said McGregor was the better man that night, but given another chance he think he could beat him. I would think any competitor would feel that way. I have no issue with this statement and I love McGregor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 7884

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:50 pm

i agree with fist and commie how is this sour grapes? Just read what you quoted from the webpage. I think this is excellent talk from a young talented prospect who got beat by another talented young prospect. He didnt take anything away from conors win and he didnt even mention the possibility of the shot he took behind the ear to be an illegal punch or whatever ( i personally thought it was a clean shot ).

i actually think what he said shows you the potential in this kid. he got into a hyped up confrontation. he trained super hard. he went in the cage in perfect shape and got his ass kicked in 90 seconds. he meets a 75 year old woman who inspired him in some way and now this guy wants to jump back in the cage and work his way to the top.

love this article and i love this fighter. if the outcome was different i wonder how conor would have took it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah I wouldn't label this sour grapes either, but I also feel he's not saying anything we didn't already know. Like I said, any fighter who gets KO'd should and probably does feel the same way. But again, what's the purpose of saying "if he didn't KO me early in the first round, I think I would've beat him"? OK....?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Label it whatever, I'd just like to see a guy give props to the other guy when a fighter loses like that.
In my opinion he would have been better served just saying "holy fuck , I got my ass kicked!" Instead he says;

"I still think I can beat him"
"That night just wasn't my night"
"I didn't get a chance to fight him."
"I got hurt early"

As a fighter part of the game is "talking the talk." Sure I understand that but if you let your mouth go you had BETTER be able to back it up.

From SB Nation Sept 2014:
"I don't like the guy -- I don't like him as a person. I think he talks a big game, like he wants to fight, and that he wants to be in a dog fight. He talks like he's that kind of person. But if you watch his footage I don't think he is. He's knocked guys out, but he's more of a point-fighter. He wants to throw stuff and look pretty and be unorthodox and circle. He doesn't want to fight. So I'm going to bring the fight to him. I'm going to stay in his face. I have ultimate confidence in my skills on the feet and on the ground, so I feel like I can finish him anywhere it goes. I'm just going to get in there and be the bully."

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/9/28/6857305/he-said-what-ufc-178-johnson-vs-cariaso-mcgregor-poirier-edition-mma

Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:09 pm

man those were some tough words for a guy who got rag dolled..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 12982

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm

@drainbamage wrote:
man those were some tough words for a guy who got rag dolled..

lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Connor McGregor wrote:
Against me, I'm going to crack him with a jab and he's going to wobble and I'm going to put him away. It's going to be a first-round KO, mark my words."

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Heh McGregor sure back up his talk.

Wink

Not on the hype train but I'm really liking this little Irishman, I only hope he doesn't burn himself out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:16 pm

if he gets through siver we are really going to see what this guy is made of.. if its aldo, mendes, cub, lamas, bermudez, or edgar ill be very happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 14047

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:07 pm

the one that's funny to me is the quote "i didnt get the chance to fight him"

well, yes you did....you stepped in the octagon....the door locked behind you and the fight started.....

oh you got hurt early? so you were out fought....in a fight....

now had he won in the 90 secs that it took McGregor I really doubt he would be saying that "well I hurt him early so we never really got the chance to fight"......

or look at it like this......im playing chess and dude takes my king in a handful of moves lasting 5 min....it would be ridiculous for me to say well I could beat the guy if we played again.....he took my queen early so we never really had a chance to play.....dafuq am I talking about we had the chance to play and I got my ass handed to me in under 5 min.....100% my fault for letting my queen get taken fast and 100% I lost that fast.....now I may have a good reason why...maybe hungover maybe a bad chess player who knows and maybe I could beat this person half the time.....fact is we did play and I did lose......so for Poirier to say they never really had the chance to fight is just silly to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 pm

^^^
Perfectly stated!
Couldn't have put it any better myself!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 10202

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:47 am

I guess I'll just agree to disagree, but definitely not worth arguing over.

I just don't see the problem in someone saying "i lost, but i still think i could beat him"

If I were a combat athlete that would always be my attitude.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:15 pm

im with fist on this one.
i actually love that his mentality is still focusing on beating him.
the guy got his bell rang with ease and it was in a vicious fashion but yet he is still wanting to fight him again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:46 pm

To be honest if mcgregor and poirer fought 10 times. I think Mcgregor would take it 7-8 of those times.So i guess to a point poirier is right that he could probably beat mcgregor but i still think mcgregor is the better fighter. But then again if you take any two fighters and pit them against each other for 10 straight fights at some point more than likely both will get a victory. So i guess what i am saying is that Dustins remark is pretty moot and obvious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:21 pm

^^^^^^ this guy lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:26 pm

@drainbamage wrote:
^^^^^^ this guy lol!

hahahaha yeah i just went back read my statement and all i could think of is "now what in the hell am i trying to say here." I got rag dolled in BJJ today so i'm not thinking straight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:01 pm

it was a great comment.. because i know exactly what youre saying but it made me lol while reading it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Yeah like Gecko said; it was a moot point, and obvious. And really not necessary to point out.

That's the only problem I had with the comment. I never thought it was sour grapes or mean spirited or whatever, but just unnecessary. That's all. I'm not saying he shouldn't feel that way, just that it serves no purpose to voice it.
It almost reminds me of that one friend who got his ass kicked at the bar one time 3 years ago, and still reminds everybody every weekend that if the guy who beat the hell out of him shows his face around here, he's dead. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:38 am

hahahahah everyone has a friend that has done that.. i have like 5 or 6 that do that. always makes me laugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’   

Back to top Go down

Dustin Poirier: ‘I still think I can beat [Conor McGregor]’
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1