UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
Poll
Mayweather Vs. McGregor who wins?
Mayweather wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
Mayweather wins UD
50%
 50% [ 3 ]
Mayweather wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Mayweather wins DQ
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins UD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins DQ
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Draw
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most active topic starters
Chrom

Triggerman99

drainbamage

Gecko

9Teen_AT4

Krieger

butterknifeninja

stock

samger2

FistK

Most active topics
The WTF Thread
The Walking Dead
Horrible Facebook Posts...
Fantasy League Season 4
Introduce Yourself Get $500 Standard Cash!
Random video of the week
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
The Ultimate Fighter Rousey vs Tate *spoilers*
Crank up the Tunes!
The Ultimate Fighter 20 Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)
Affiliates
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 7831

PostSubject: Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico   Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 am

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/2/7965535/gilbert-melendez-wants-fight-with-longtime-rival-eddie-alvarez-in

If Gilbert Melendez has his way, fans will get to see that Strikeforce vs. Bellator superfight all these years later.

Melendez told Ariel Helwani on Monday's The MMA Hour that he'd like his next fight to be against Eddie Alvarez at the proposed UFC 188 card in Mexico on June 13. Melendez was the Strikeforce lightweight champion from 2009 to 2012, while Alvarez held the Bellator lightweight belt from 2009 to 2011 and then again last year.

The Melendez-Alvarez bout was proposed back then, but the two promotions couldn't come to a deal. Both men wanted it at the time and Melendez thinks it's finally the right moment. During that period, they were each regarded as two of the best fighters on the planet not under the Zuffa banner.

"If Eddie Alvarez is out there and he's open to fight me and I think he is -- no doubt in my mind he's open to fight me -- I think we should try to fight each other," Melendez said. "There would be no better place than Mexico City. That would be the one to do it on if you ask me."

Melendez is of Mexican descent and Alvarez is half Puerto Rican and half Irish. The two remain top 155-pounders in the world and both men are proficient MMA boxers. The UFC 188 main event is likely to be a heavyweight title unification bout between Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum, but Melendez-Alvarez would be a bankable co-headliner.

"It's two guys that probably have similar fighting styles," Melendez said. "It would be a good recipe for a bad ass MMA fight."

After the original discussions of a fight around four years ago, the two men sniped back and forth with each other in interviews and on social media. Melendez said he never took it personally.

"I believe I was calling out Eddie Alvarez first," Melendez said. "Again, I called him out because I thought he was one of the best guys. Initially, I called him out back in the day thinking that Strikeforce and Bellator could have made it happen. This is years ago. I think he took it a little bit as an insult, because I think he thought it wasn't even possible."

Both men are in the UFC now, so the novelty of two champions squaring off has evaporated. Yet there still seems like there is some unfinished business there. And with each coming off a loss, it does make sense. Melendez fell to champion Anthony Pettis at UFC 181 in December and Alvarez was defeated by Donald Cerrone at UFC 178 in September.

"I don't really care much about him, but I do respect him as a fighter," Melendez said. "I'd like to share the Octagon with him finally."

Melendez said his management team has spoken to the UFC about it already, although nothing has been confirmed. It is, though, what he would like.

"If the UFC could make that happen and if Eddie wants it, I think that's the next fight for me," Melendez said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 12929

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico   Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:49 am

two word: HELL YEAH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 10139

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico   Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:59 am

Me likey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico   Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:06 pm

this is a fight that should have happened a long time ago
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 56995

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico   Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Good main-event replacement too if Cain/Verdum get hurt and they have to scrap that fight. Given recent history of cards falling to complete shit levels after a main-event is scrapped, the UFC would be wise to pull the trigger on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico   

Back to top Go down

Gilbert Melendez wants fight with longtime rival Eddie Alvarez in Mexico
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1