UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
Poll
Mayweather Vs. McGregor who wins?
Mayweather wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
Mayweather wins UD
50%
 50% [ 3 ]
Mayweather wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Mayweather wins DQ
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins KO
17%
 17% [ 1 ]
McGregor wins UD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins SD
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
McGregor wins DQ
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Draw
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Most active topic starters
Chrom

Triggerman99

drainbamage

Gecko

9Teen_AT4

Krieger

butterknifeninja

stock

FistK

samger2

Most active topics
The WTF Thread
The Walking Dead
Horrible Facebook Posts...
Fantasy League Season 4
Introduce Yourself Get $500 Standard Cash!
Random video of the week
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
The Ultimate Fighter Rousey vs Tate *spoilers*
Crank up the Tunes!
The Ultimate Fighter 20 Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)
Affiliates
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

UFC 208 Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King

Standard Cash : 32754

PostSubject: UFC 208 Discussion   Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:47 am

I honestly believe Silva to be the most over hyped MMA athlete of all time.  Even more-so than Fedor.  
He was dominating and exciting from middle of 2006 thru middle of 2008.  Since then, he's had like 3 entertaining fights, and a whole bunch of boring shitshows where he would just clown around and be perfectly fine out-pointing guys as a backpedaling counter puncher.  And even during his prime, he's essentially dominated only 3 big names (Franklin, Henderson, and (maybe Marquardt)).

I just can't understand how almost a decade later, the UFC still tries to pump him up.
Sure, he was fun for a while, but got old really fast.... his attitude not helping.

Last edited by Chrom on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : IDK what I did here but I fucked something up... somehow merged this into a topic I intended on creating with my post. sorry stock)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Standard Cash : 20153

PostSubject: UFC 208 Discussion   Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm

What a shit show! Terrible refs, terrible judging and just the slightest smattering of good in between. I don't know maybe it's just NY or maybe it's the match making along with the aforementioned refs and judges... if half the fights weren't so ranking lopsided I think it would have been an even uglier night. For me at least, the large rank disparity had me interested just to see if some of those guys could throw a wrench in the works. Obviously none of them did... but rooting for the underdog is really all I had.
Anderson is friggin beyond done! I don't know what the hell was going on in that fight... but it wasn't at all what I was expecting or hoping to see. I think stock is right in basically saying we have all been a victim of over-salesmanship!
The Poirier/Miller fight was the obvious highlight of the night. Apparently they are both pretty
worse for wear right now.
But man that was

Now on to the title fight... First, that fuckin ref man, all night awful! He, in the very least, should be suspended from reffing any major MMA event for foreseen future. He just isn't on top of shit and far too lackadaisical. Especially for major title fights.
Second, the scoring... IDK how you guys had it but, to me those strike count numbers looked cooked. 12 head strikes to 81 or something like that? I don't know about that... Also I, at the end of the fifth round, had Holly winning it... especially if there was a decent ref in there who would have/ should have taken a point.
Third, Germaine is dirty as shit. I know she is out there right now claiming it wasn't intentional and that it was just a heat of the moment thing... that's bullshit. At this level of the sport you should be more aware and in control. I can't think of a single fighter in the UFC that has done that... two obviously late blows. The one at the end of the 1st rocked the shit outta Holm and she should have at least gotten 5 minutes for an illegal blow...
I also loved how Germaiane immediately shot down a fight with Cyborg anytime soon, due to a preexisting injury. Then later says she wants to have a rematch with Holly inste4ad because she feels the media is robbing her of her shining moment!? Come on now

"Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. Everyone knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Standard Cash : 20153

PostSubject: Re: UFC 208 Discussion   Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Sorry for fuckin up your post stock, I intended on using your post as a quote and had two tabs open at the same time and messed them up somehow. So now your post is the topic starter here rather than where you posted it. I don't Know

"Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. Everyone knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 56998

PostSubject: Re: UFC 208 Discussion   Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:53 am

I think its a bit unfair to say Silva has been the most fraudulently hyped ever.
Sure, because of his style and penchant for the dramatic finish he may have been sold a little more than he earned, but that happens with all superstars; MMA or otherwise.
It's easy to think that way now that he's 42 and the results aren't there like they were 7 or 8 years ago, but what did we expect? That he'd be knocking out guys in the first round 10-15 years younger than him until he's 50?

He was nearly untouchable for a long time. You can't take that away from him.

With that said, I was hoping he was going to retire after getting this win. I don't want to see him Ken Shamrocking his way into embarrassment. It wasn't his best showing, but he did have his moments, and this would've made sense as a swan song.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King

Standard Cash : 32754

PostSubject: Re: UFC 208 Discussion   Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:45 am

Yeah, nothing to take away from his 2 years of dominance. For that period of time he pretty much had bruce lee ninja status and was super fun to watch.
My beef is mostly with the UFC trying to ride the "headliner" wave well beyond what is deserved.

I'm fine watching old farts show off their game. But don't call it a headliner and waste 25 minutes of some poor sap paying $50 to watch it.

Yeah, I thought the officiating/judging was terrible.
I had Holm/Randamie basically a coin flip. No doubt a point should have been taken away for the second late punch... which would have given the edge to Holm. Basically, the best shots Randamie had in the fight were after the bell, and I really do think the judges were giving her credit for them.

I also (personally) had Brunson too. Although, the fight was basically actionless enough that nobody has any right complaining about that win.

Also, the Nover fight.... how the hell can one judge have it 30-27 for Nover, and he still loses a split decision? Again, I didn't think either fighter did enough to complain about getting robbed. I just don't know how judging can be that off. At this point, I think the UFC would be better off doing the judging American Idol style.
Another thing I thought about that "could" make final rounds a tad more exciting. What if judges showed their scoring after each round (put the current scores on the big screen). Then in the final round, maybe it puts a spark under the guy getting screwed by the judges.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: UFC 208 Discussion   Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:21 pm

I thought Brunson mightve won the fight as well, but I agree that neither fighter would've had the right to complain about a loss there. Brunson I think won on the stat sheet, but Silva seemed to be the more aggressive fighter and looked more intent on actually trying to win the fight.

I like the idea about judges showing the scores in between rounds to encourage action, but it could have the opposite effect as well; if a fighter knows for certain that he's up 2 (or 4) rounds to none across the board, he's not gonna do dick in the last round.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 10142

PostSubject: Re: UFC 208 Discussion   Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:27 am

The judgin was absolutely atrocious for this event.

I think I can sum it all up in the Miller vs Poirier scorecard. Dana White said after the fights that no judge turned in a 10-10 round in the event.

Well one judge scored the fight 28-28 and another scored the fight 30-27 for Poirier. So that means that one judge had a round 10-9 for Poirier and another had it 10-8 for Miller...lol WTF!?! I mean really think about that. How can one guy say the round was so dominant for one fighter that he gets a 10-8 and another judge thinks the other guy won lol. Such shit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

PostSubject: Re: UFC 208 Discussion   Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 pm

If it feels like we've been saying this for years......it's because we've been saying this for years.

You gotta wonder how long this can go on before something changes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 208 Discussion   

Back to top Go down

UFC 208 Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1