UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
Poll
Is Edmond Tarverdyan The Worst Coach In UFC?
 Yes
 No
 Undecided
View results
Most active topic starters
Chrom

Triggerman99

drainbamage

Gecko

9Teen_AT4

Krieger

butterknifeninja

stock

samger2

FistK

Most active topics
The WTF Thread
The Walking Dead
Horrible Facebook Posts...
Fantasy League Season 4
Introduce Yourself Get $500 Standard Cash!
Random video of the week
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
The Ultimate Fighter Rousey vs Tate *spoilers*
Crank up the Tunes!
The Ultimate Fighter 20 Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)
Affiliates
June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Share | 

Dana White Confirms GSP is Returning to the UFC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 57263

PostSubject: Dana White Confirms GSP is Returning to the UFC   Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Quote :
UFC president Dana White on Friday made Georges St-Pierre‘s return to the Octagon official.

While he fell short of naming a timeline or opponent for St-Pierre, White confirmed the former champion’s comeback to the L.A. Times following an earlier report this week by MMAFighting.com citing unnamed sources. White indicated the contract was signed on Thursday.

“He’s back. I’m excited,” White told the Times’ Lance Pugmire. “We worked at it for a long time and finally got it done.”

St-Pierre stepped away from the sport in November of 2013 after making the ninth consecutive defense of his UFC welterweight championship.

His entire time out of the Octagon, St-Pierre never said never to a return, frequently teasing a comeback.

He had been in the thick of negotiations with former owner Lorenzo Fertitta in 2016, targeting a return at 185 pounds to challenge UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping. St-Pierre had even enter the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency testing pool in August, so that he could be eligible for a potential December date in Toronto. USADA records indicate that he was tested four times in 2016.

When the UFC was sold to WME-IMG for roughly $4.2 billion, things quickly turned south. Negotiations ceased.

White recently rekindled the rumors of a potential return, telling Canadian outlet TSN that he had straightened things out with St-Pierre. Now, he has confirmed the welterweight kingpin’s return, although he had few more details to unveil.

“It could be the winner between Tyron Woodley and Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson, or it could be Michael Bisping,” White said when asked about a potential first opponent. “Georges has also talked about fighting at 155 pounds. He says he can make the weight.

“But I have no idea when he’s going to fight right now. We don’t have anything booked and literally haven’t talked to anybody about it.”

Woodley and Thompson are slated to meet in the March 4 main event at UFC 209, while Bisping is currently on the sidelines dealing with a knee injury. If he emerges at 155 pounds, St-Pierre could find a quick road to a mega-fight with current champion Conor McGregor.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-confirms-georges-st-pierre-has-signed-for-ufc-return
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King

Standard Cash : 25813

PostSubject: Re: Dana White Confirms GSP is Returning to the UFC   Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Man, GSP at 155 is crazy. He was a huge WW, often weighing 190+ pounds by the start of the fight.
I'm not even sure who I'd be excited to watch him fight.
I certainly don't think he deserves an immediate title fight after that long of a layoff.

Though McGregor or Silva would be fun to watch.
Otherwise, I'd say someone in the 3-5 rankings to see how he does before giving a title fight.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder

Standard Cash : 57263

PostSubject: Re: Dana White Confirms GSP is Returning to the UFC   Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:54 pm

I'd hate to see him come back and immediately fight Woodley and get caught and finished. Jesus, could you imagine what that would do to Woodley's already inflated ego?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana White Confirms GSP is Returning to the UFC   

Back to top Go down

Dana White Confirms GSP is Returning to the UFC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1